Thursday, March 10, 2016

Researching ‘controversy with Donald Trump’ lead me to an article where he responds to comparisons to Hitler. The comparison can be linked to the beginning of his campaign, with Trump’s xenophobic attutide towards Muslims and Mexicans being a cornerstone of his platform (and his appeal). But the comparison has been in the news recently due to Trump recently asking voters to raise their right hand as a sign of pledging their vote to the Republican Candidate. In typical Trump fashion, he responded to the comparison on “Good Morning America” with “I don’t know anything about the Hitler comparison, I hadn’t heard that, but it’s a terrible comparison. I’m not happy about that certainly”. Trump then went on state that he felt like he was “acting more like Franklin Roosevelt than Hitler”.
            I found this comparison interesting because I believe Trump must be referring to Roosevelt’s attitude towards Jewish refugees during the beginning of World War 2. FDR refused the admittance of Jewish voyagers on the St. Louis.   I don’t think most Americans are aware of how this country responded to the plight of the Jewish people, and how we ignored their pleas for help when they needed it most. Regardless, I hope Trump is further questioned on this statement and he will have to answer on his thoughts about how America treated immigrants when they needed help the most.


No comments:

Post a Comment